May 23, 2023
Managing Stress Reactions through Self-Care
How do you manage stress reactions—especially when you struggle to set boundaries? Sometimes it can be difficult to assert your needs. I share a story of risking looking like that person in my own home. We talk about the importance of understanding what you are willing to tolerate in relationships and what might come up if you struggle to set boundaries. We also talk about the intimacy that develop when we are able to risk and be vulnerable with those we love.
Jen Perry, MSEd, MA, LPC
· Fortify your personal boundaries and enhance your well-being as a highly sensitive individual.
· Master the art of self-care to manage stress reactions and maintain balance in life.
· Foster empathy and understanding to strengthen relationships and foster meaningful connections.
· Embark on a journey of personal growth and self-awareness, discovering ways to cope with emotional triggers.
· Bolster your emotional regulation by embracing support from loved ones and building a nurturing circle.
The resources mentioned in this episode are:
· Consider reading Emily Nagoski's book, Burnout, to learn more about handling stress and setting boundaries.
· Take time for self-care by scheduling specific days or moments in a month for doing something nice for yourself.
· Practice asserting yourself and setting boundaries in different situations, even if it feels uncomfortable.
· Communicate openly with family members or friends about your struggles with setting boundaries and ask for their support.
· Reflect on where you feel a no in your body and honor that feeling when setting boundaries.
· Be mindful of rules and social etiquette in public spaces, and assert yourself when needed.
Jen Perry, MSEd, MA, LPC has been a psychotherapist for 20 years. She specializes in helping Highly Sensitive People thrive in love, work, and parenting Highly Sensitive Children. Jen is passionate about using mindfulness and compassion-based approaches to ameliorate human suffering.
Patricia is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, and Coach. She knows what it’s like to feel like an outcast, misfit, and truthteller. Learning about the trait of being a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP), helped Patricia rewrite her history with a deeper understanding, appreciation, and a sense of self-compassion. She created the podcast Unapologetically Sensitive to help other HSPs know that they aren’t alone, and that being an HSP has amazing gifts, and some challenges. Patricia works online globally working individually with people, and she teaches Online Courses for HSPs that focus on understanding what it means to be an HSP, self-care, self-compassion, boundaries, perfectionism, mindfulness, communication, and creating a lifestyle that honors us
Jen’s website: https://heartfulnessconsulting.com/
HSP Online Course--https://unapologeticallysensitive.com/hsp-online-groups/
Online HSP Course Materials (no group included) https://patriciayounglcsw.com/product-category/hsp-classes/
Receive the top 10 most downloaded episodes of the podcast-- https://www.subscribepage.com/e6z6e6
Sign up for the Newsletter-- https://www.subscribepage.com/y0l7d4
To write a review in itunes:
Closed/Private Facebook group Unapologetically Sensitive-- https://www.facebook.com/groups/2099705880047619/
Music-- Gravel Dance by Andy Robinson www.andyrobinson.com